Saturday, September 10, 2011

tired gal

Yesterday after the installation I ended up rushing to my friends' farm for dinner and didn't get home to late, having been happily suckered into helping with Hors d'oeuvre for a wedding for people I do not know. I spent the evening in a restaurant after-hours, with twenty people, laughing and joking around. I filled so many dates with cream cheese I started thinking they were tiny footballs. Drove home with Gibson hanging out the window, me singing to the radio.

Spent today helping friends move (When you have a pickup truck, and most of your friends do not, this is a common request). I love moving, did a lot myself, but today I helped Tyler and Chrissy move in a caravan of friends up the mountains of southern Vermont to the town of Londonderry. By the time 4 PM rolled around I had hauled enough mattresses and dressers up a flight of stairs to earn some sore muscles. Afterwards I enjoyed my gift of a hamburger and beer, and came home to the farm ready to relax. Jasper is fed and in his stall. The poultry are locked in their coop. I herded sheep with Gibson (it's an uphill battle) earlier today, and there was some progress. And now I am going to enjoy some soup and Prairie Home Companion. I heart Lake Wobegon.

The stove is in and I will post photos soon, I promise. But tonight I am keeping it short, without photoshop or extra effort. I am dog tired, can't wait to put up my unshod feet and play that banjo (any of you still playing since spring?). I have some Dorothy Parker to read tonight. That's a treat, no matter who you are.

Tomorrow Brett is coming over to help with Jasper and altering his harness to fit properly. Photos of the stove installation and draft training tomorrow!

13 Comments:

Blogger griefcure said...

Nice to see that you did a
"coup de main" (helping hand)
for your friends.

Regards,
Zeke

September 10, 2011 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger georgie said...

Makes the heart feel good helping others. Today I helped a neighbor who is always coming to my rescue,but rarely asks for an assist. Made me feel so good. Well, that and the autographed by Jenna and Gibson copy of Made From Scratch that came in the mail today from Connie at Battenkill Books!

September 10, 2011 at 8:00 PM  
Blogger Karen Rickers said...

You know, I'm not sure I'm up for the banjo, but I have been considering getting one of those strumsticks that are advertised on your site. No wrong notes! You gotta love that.

Have fun with Dorothy Parker. Shall I quote my favourite Parker sonnet, or would that be overkill? :-D

September 10, 2011 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Yea!! Love pictures. Especially the videos of your farm.
Susan

September 10, 2011 at 8:12 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Yea! Love pictures of your farm. Especially the videos.
Susan

September 10, 2011 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Sorry about the double post.

September 10, 2011 at 8:15 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Gibson was a good sport in Connies store for that Georgie!

September 10, 2011 at 8:17 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

No problem Susan, comments make me happy. I wish everyone posted three!

September 10, 2011 at 8:18 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Share the sonnet! I'll share my favorite thing of hers

September 10, 2011 at 8:18 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Tired indeed! You've been a busy gal! Londonderry is a beautiful town. I lived on a horse farm in Jamaica, VT for six months and used to travel there for groceries when I wanted to take a little drive and have a treat. Ah, Vermont, my heart's home. As for banjo, I think I'll try my hand at fiddle, first; now to find an inexpensive violin to borrow... Enjoy your evening with soup, Gibson, Garrison (one of my faves, too), and banjo--I'm sure you will slumber soundly with sweet dreams (and fully-filled Karma-fuel tank) tonight!

September 10, 2011 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Oh I love all the writers from the Algonquin Round Table, especially Dorothy Parker!! What are you reading?

September 10, 2011 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger Karen Rickers said...

Okay, here goes:

A dream lies dead here. May you softly go
Before this place, and turn away your eyes.
Nor seek to know the look of that which dies,
Importuning Life for life. Walk not in woe,
But for a little, let your step be slow.
And, of your mercy, be not sweetly wise
With words of hope, and spring, and tenderer skies,
A dream lies dead. And this all mourners know:
Whenever one drifted petal leaves the tree,
Though white of bloom as it had been before,
And proudly waitful of fecundity,
One little loveliness can be no more.
And so much beauty bow her imperfect head,
Because a dream has joined the wistful dead.

So sad, but so lovely! (That's from memory, so the punctuation may be off ...)

September 10, 2011 at 9:49 PM  
Blogger redbird said...

Always have liked Parker’s A Certain Lady and Chant for Dark Hours. Sounds like a good way to spend a September Saturday evening—with Dorothy and Garrison.

September 11, 2011 at 1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home